Yea! Summer vacation! Greg and Taylor are both currently in Shocco Springs ( Talladega area), Alabama on a student life mission trip. The house seems very quiet – we usually have anywhere from 6 to 10 teenagers in the house at night. I guess it’s practice for the empty nest that’s right around the corner. Our dog, Riley keeps us entertained. For those of you into stupid pet tricks – check out YouTube under Thezflorida. We’ve got two videos of her jumping in the pool.
Greg ended his high school soccer career on a high note. His team, Melbourne, won the Florida class 6A state championship against Boca Raton . He had some key plays, including two goals in the Regional Final and the tying goal in the State Semi-final. He was also named the Brevard County “Player of the Year” by Florida Today newspaper. He has decided to go to UCF and study Pre-Med in the hopes of becoming a pediatrician and has been invited to join the LEAD Scholars program. His summer will include work-outs at the gym and playing on a Super-Y soccer league in Orlando to stay fit for college soccer and “shadowing” two local pediatricians.
Taylor had a busy school-year with all of the clubs and activities she participates in, as well as four A/P classes. She was honored to find out that she was selected to be co-editor of the school yearbook next year. Her dance recital was last weekend – she danced in ten numbers and taught/choreographed three younger classes. I don’t know how she memorizes everything. I’m lucky if I remember what I did an hour ago. She will be attending a year-book seminar in Orlando and a dance camp in NC over the summer, as well as begin her tour of college campuses. She thinks she’d like to go out of state and is looking at Duke and Georgia Tech.
We got the backyard landscaping done in time for Greg’s graduation open house and I saw my first butterfly in the butterfly garden last week. We keep looking around for the next project to do – we should probably replace the downstairs flooring, but I can’t muster the energy to think about moving everything out of the way.
Kurt and I went to Asheville for my birthday – first time in 18 years that the two of us have been away without kids. We had an enjoyable weekend catching up with some Atlanta friends and touring the Biltmore Estate. The kids survived without us and the house didn’t burn down. I’m sure we’ll hear details in 20 years about the parties, etc.
We enjoyed seeing everyone that made it to Kate’s wedding. I wish we all lived closer so that we could get together more often.
Have a fun and safe summer.
Love,
Shel
No comments:
Post a Comment